The children are divided into 4 groups for spelling. The colour group your child belongs to is shown as a sticker on their name sticker on the front of their spelling book. Their spellings are stuck into their book on a sticker with the date they need to be learnt for written on it. The spellings will be tested on a Friday morning.
Some children do find learning their spellings easy but others find it a lot trickier.
Here are some ideas to help you:
1. Use your spelling book to write the word, look at it, cover it up and try to write it from memory (Look, cover, check).
2. Ask your child to write the word onto a word document on the computer. If it is spelt wrong then the word will be underlined. You could ask your child to right -click and see if they can read the right word - just check they haven't spelt another word correctly though!
3. Use Scrabble type letters - you can make your own - and give your child the right letters in the wrong order. Can they reorder them correctly?
4. If you have magnetic letters on your fridge door can you spell the words correctly then when your child isn't looking try to trick them by changing 2 letters?
5. You can ask them to write the words in sand or use a paintbrush to paint the words with water on a path.
6. What patterns do they see in the word to help them remember it?
7. Use a mnemonic eg because - Big Elephants Can Always Understand Small Elephants.
All children will learn to spell in different ways - please be patient and encourage! Please write in the spelling diary which your child has any positives or problems you encounter.
For Friday 23rd September
Purple Group - said, have, like, come, some, were, there, are, friend, people, beautiful, because
Blue Group - said, have, like, come, some, were, there, are, friend, people
Yellow Group - said, have, like, come, are,has
Red Group - said, have, like. so
For Friday 30th September
For Friday 7th October
Red Group - were. there, one, do
Yellow Group - looked, called, asked, people, Mr, Mrs
Blue Group - Mr, Mrs, out, little, said, of, are, were, was, your
Purple Group - Mr, Mrs, out, little, said, of, are, were, was, your, child, children
Remember mnemonic for PEOPLE is
People Eat Omelettes People Love Eggs - or choose your own one!
For Friday 14th October 2016
Blue Group -sure, assure, pure, secure, manure, mature, treasure, pleasure - and 2 from previous weeks
Yellow Group - out, cloud, proud, about, scout, house, our - and 2 from previous weeks
Red Group - cow, down, clown, town
for Friday 21st October
Blue Group - money, monkey, donkey, chimney, honey, grey, obey, survey (and 2 from previous weeks)
Yellow Group - clue, blue, true, due, glue, value, issue, Sue(and 2 from previous weeks)
Red Group - saw, law, claw, shawl
For Friday 28th October
Blue Group - old, older, coldest, holding, soldier, mostly, golden, focussed (and 2 from previous weeks)
Yellow Group - money, monkey. silly, sticky, find, mind, kind, behind (and 2 from previous weeks)
Red Group - grew, blew, chew, crew