Watch the clip titled Lion Attacked by Pack of Hyenas, taken from the third episode of David Attenborough’s Dynasties which focuses (surprise, surprise) on the magnificent lion…
1. What do young males do as they mature?
2. What do you think the word ‘boundaries’ means in the phrase “begin to explore the boundaries of their prides territory”?
3. Which of the following is the most accurate definition of the word ‘venture?’
4. List two synonyms for the word venture?
5. Why might Red have decided to venture out alone? Explain yourself fully?
6. Pause at 36 seconds – How do you think the hyenas are feeling here? Why might they be feeling this way?
7. Red is described as having “blundered straight into the middle of the hyena clan.” Why has Sir David Attenborough chosen to use the word ‘blundered’ here?
8. Pause at 1.01 – Pick one word to describe how Red is feeling here. Explain your choice of word.
9. Sir David Attenborough says, “the pack tries to wear him down.” What do the following words mean in this sentence?
10. Why do you think it is “impossible to fight them all at once?”
11. Sir David Attenborough says, “he can’t keep them at bay for much longer.” What do you think this phrase means? Explain.
12. Why do you think the cameraman chose to focus on Red in this clip?
13. Predict what might happen next. Explain your prediction in detail.