Statement of intent
Geography develops pupils’ understanding of the world in which they live through the study of place, space and environment.
Whilst geography provides a basis for pupils to understand their role within the world, by exploring locality and how people fit into a global structure, the subject also encourages children to learn through experience, particularly through practical and fieldwork activities.
Through the teaching of geography, Parkgate Primary School aims to:
- Increase pupils’ awareness, knowledge and understanding of other cultures.
- Develop pupils’ graphic skills, including how to use, draw and interpret maps.
- Make pupils aware of environmental problems at a local, regional and global level.
- Encourage pupils to commit to sustainable development.
- Develop a variety of skills, including those in relation to problem-solving, ICT and presenting conclusions in the most appropriate way.
- Develop a passion for Geography encouraging the development of the subject at High School
- Develop a detailed understanding of the local area realising how the area of Parkgate has geographically developed into what it is today.